Monday 7 February 2011

UK Jazz Tour - Gig 1 of 12 - The Chapel, Stratford-upon-Avon

First of all, you probably noticed that the title says 1 of 12 instead of 1 of 13.  That's because sadly one of the gigs (Derby) got cancelled this week.  :-(  But... it means I get to spend a free day - a mini-holiday if you like - in lovely Northumberland.  So it's not all bad!

Anyway, back to Stratford Jazz @The Chapel.  We arrived after a 2-hour fairly easy drive to be met by a very helpful member of staff who also doubled as the sound engineer. 

The promoter Roy - who does a wonderful job running the club - arrived soon after and they sorted out drinks and food for us whilst we set up and did a quick soundcheck.  If only all gigs were so smoothly run and well organised!  I complimented Roy on his great checked shirt which made him chuckle as he said his wife hated it!

The audience started to trickle in quite quickly and there was a good turnout with all seats taken, and a couple more standing at the bar.  The promoter Roy introduced us and we started our set.


Audience coming in at start of gig

Ryan Trebilcock who was standing in for Oli Hayhurst did a remarkable job.  Especially as he only saw the music 30 minutes before we went on stage.  What a star!


Ryan, George, Milo and me


During the break I chatted with some of the lovely people in the audience  - if any of you read this, please comment so that I can add your name below your photo - and then we were back on for the second set in what seemed like the blink of an eye.


Someone trying to take a photo of me while I was taking a photo of them!


Some lovely audience members


More lovely audience members

The audience called for an encore at the end of the second set and we did a new version (with my own lyrics) of the standard "Let's Do It" which went down really well.  Someone came up to me at the end and urged me to add some more of these types of songs to my repertoire as he believed I had a talent for satirical lyric writing.  Hmm,,, food for thought.

And then there was the lovely lady who, as she was leaving, said to me excitedly that she'd never listened to jazz before but that she really enjoyed our performance.  For me, that's one of the best things someone can say to me at the end of a gig. I feel proud to have attracted a new convert to jazz!  One by one...

Next gig - 14th February @ The Royal Albert Hall, Elgar Room. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great night at The Malting's yesterday and for introducing me to a few singers I did not know.
    on the last song Tainted Love, it was first recorded by Gloria Jones in 1965 and is a great dance track. Gloria later worked with Motown but is probably best known for her relationship with Marc Bolan of T Rex fame. saw her perform the song in the 70's, very much enjoyed your take on it.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lee. We had great fun! It's a wonderful venue and you were a lovely audience. And thanks for the info about Gloria Jones. I knew of the track of course but never realised she had a relationship with Marc Bolan. An interesting fact that I will be sure to share! Best wishes, Juliet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate the feedback. :-)