Sunday 27 February 2011

UK Jazz Tour - Gigs 5 & 6 of 12 - Hawth, Crawley & Camberwell Crypt

We're half way through!

The Hawth is a lovely venue.  A proper but cosy little studio theatre with raked seating. Only thing is when I was on stage the audience was in complete darkness which meant I could see no-one at all!  I love to see the faces of the audience while I'm singing so that made it a little difficult but I made up for this by going out and meeting them all during the interval...
The Hawth Theatre
George, Oli and Milo on stage during soundcheck
 
Somr of the people I met during the interval

Brian (a jazz photographer) and his wife.  He took lots of pictures of me during
 the show so I thought it only fair to return the favour!

Me with 2 lovely ladies -  She looks as if she's about to kiss me
but think she was just caught mid sentence!

Taken by a professional - Brian O'Connor

Another photo from Brian O'Connor (See my photo of Brian above!)

Oli was back with us for these 2 gigs and it was lovely to play with him and hear stories of his tour in Ireland with Zoe Rahman.  The promoter also arranged for us to be given a hot meal before the performance.  This seems like a luxury but really it should be a necessity as when we've travelled for hours it can be tough to then have to go out looking for somewhere to get a meal with only minutes to spare after the soundcheck.  And that's not to mention the added cost!  I wish all promoters would consider this.

Then the next day we were in my home town of London for my first performance at the Camberwell Crypt.  I've been to this venue as part of the audience before and always loved it so it was great to be performing there.  Again we had a meal before the performance and I highly recommend the food.  Especially the puddings.  Yum!

What was particularly good about this venue is that it's full of young people.  A real rarity in jazz.  There were more than a hundred people there and the average age definitely seemed to be under thirty.  Maybe we shouldn't be so pessimistic about the future of jazz after all?


The sign says "Welcome To The Crypt"  A bit spooky, no?  Muhahahahaha!


Some of the lovely people at the gig
 
More lovely people.  And the girl on the left has spectacular hair!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate the feedback. :-)